 Administrative / General / 728
Re: Web interface search results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:52:50 GMT

lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

[...]

Jeremy Sproat writes:
Also, the results page currently lists: something(?), the article
number, and words found on each line.  I would also like to be able to
see the articles' subject lines and dates posted.  You know, to make ego
surfing easier.  :-,

I didn't have a little library for news articles when I wrote the search
function the first time, so that's why it's so bare-bones.  :)  But let me
see what I can do now.  The other filterings will take a more work, but this
is probably pretty straightforward -- I'll allocate a 1/2 hour for it today
-- seems like a pretty useful thing now that the searches are returning many
more results than they used to.

OK, give it a whirl now -- it's a lot friendlier, but unforunately it's also
a *lot* slower -- because it's got to go fetch details about the article
which aren't part of the raw words-to-article index.

Generally, the more words you type (that is, the more specific your search),
the faster the results come back, because the crummy matches can be
separated from the good matches much more easily.

So, for example, if you search for a very common single word "cool" or
"lego", it takes a loooong time.  But if you search for a very uncommon
single word like "atlas", then it's lickety-split.  Something a little more
complex like "the best place to get linux" takes longer, but it's still
tolerable.

I may have to tweak the thresholding on what gets chopped off the bottom
when weeding out crummy matches -- it's probably returning too many matches
in most cases.  It erred on the side of "too many" before when the results
didn't give any real info except the ng name.

Lemme know what you think.

--Todd

p.s.  If what you're looking for is something that scours all the ng's for
any mention of your name, I think that's probably left as a separate
special-purpose thingie which does it all automagically like an agent and
sends you incremental information.  I'd love to offer that as a service but
it's a pretty low priority.