 Administrative / General / 2713
Re: Web interface search results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:
Sure, sounds okay.  I'm a little nervous about handling raw seconds; the big
numbers make my puny earthling brain hurt.  :-,  How about using the same
syntax used in the traffic report page; e.g.

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/custom.cgi?hours=6

Shows what's happened in the past 6 hours.  How about something like

  http://www.lugnet.com/?q=jeremy+sproat&qtmonths=6&qsdays=7

to ask for the results to prefer articles submitted a month ago, with s
spread of 7 days?

Apart from the URLs getting longer and more clutterred with parameters and
being harder to share via cut & paste into messages, it would probably also
mean two separate URL interpretation mechanisms (more code bloat, even if
it's broken into a separate library) rather than just one which converts
human time to epoch time along with everything else and feeds the result to
a lower layer.

BTW, how would you write the following range using the multi-parameter
approach?--

   From:  31 Dec 1998 23:45:00 EST
     to:   1 Jan 1999 00:30:00 EST

(Let's say you're looking for Happy New Year messages posted by people in
the New York City time zone last year.)

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ny/?q=happy+new+year&........

What goes in the ....'s ?

Hmmm...  There would be lost flexibility then, as you can
only ask for integral values of one time metric.  Arg.  I'll have to
surrender to the intellectual superiority of my browser.  :-P

Well, not necessarily; they could be floating point just as easily as they
could be integer (not that I don't still prefer seconds).

They numbers on the custom traffic report page are non-integer, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/custom.cgi?hours=.5
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/traffic/custom.cgi?hours=1.5&days=2.33333

--Todd