 Administrative / General / 701
Re: Where to put test postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 21:39:24 GMT

Simon Denscombe <carbon60@bigfoot.com> writes:

I have come to the idea that there is nowhere obvious to put test postings.
I suggest the creation of the group lugnet.test for this purpose.

Any comments?

Ahhh, goodie -- this comes up again.  :)  Here's an earlier thread on the
subject (I think one of several):

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.admin.general:250

I hesitate to set up a group called lugnet.test because, news conventions
aside, a group named lugnet.test, by its position in the hierarchy, implies
some sort of testing about LEGO.  I substitute "lego." for "lugnet." and
"lego.lugnet." for "lugnet.admin." in my mind when I see the ng names.  At
any rate, that's the rationale behind the naming and it's pretty consistent.

One other suggestion that came up once was lugnet.admin.test -- a more
accurate placement in the hierarchy, but a placement I fear will be mistaken
for other types of testing besides newsreaders.

Yet another possibility was lugnet.newsreaders.test & lugnet.newsreaders --
giving a place for testing and for talking about newsreader software and
configuration.

But none of these really seemed to fit, and there haven't been too many test
postings clogging things up.

But how about this? -- something heretofore unconsidered, I believe --

   lugnet.off-topic.test

Seems like a pretty obvious and self-descriptive name.  And it neither
precludes nor presumes the existence of an off-topic (off-LEGO-topic)
newsgroup for discussing newsreaders and related news topics.

Comments?

--Todd