 Administrative / General / 6812
Re: 1 new or 3?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:42:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Yes, but since most newsgroups have the welcome to <newsgroup> and the
Lugnet terms of use messages posted to it on startup, there would be little
or no point in considering these two messages as traffic.  :-)

I think you're agreeing with me??? That's kind of what I am saying too.

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message
I just posted to loc.ch.zh.zue... a group that had no posts to it other • than
the two starter posts back in 1998.

So that is post #3 and 1 new one in the last 24 hours right?

But the traffic report page shows **3** new posts. Not so. Bug or • feature?

Somewhere in between a bug and a feature.  The traffic page considered • the
group as empty when there were only 2 posts because it disregards groups • with
only 2 posts.  When the count jumped from 2 to 3, the traffic page saw it • as
no longer empty and has now begun tracking it.  If a fourth message • appears,
it would be compared to the 3, not to 0.

Sounds like kind of a misfeature :-), you must have a hard coded "ignore • if
2"... so just hack in another hard coding "if this is a jump from 2 to
something, pretend you weren't ignoring the 2's and just show • (something-2) new
instead"

++lar