 Administrative / General / 6744
Re: FUT, FUT, FUT....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:03:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Miller wrote:

Anders Isaksson <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote:
couple (well, almost 20) of groups, connect, download, disconnect, and read
off-line. No possibility to flip to the web interface to follow a straying
thread. And it's much too much work to subscribe to a new group just to find
the thread again.

I'd think you'd _prefer_ this -- if the thread has moved away from something
you're interested in, why would you want to read it anymore? Or, if it is
something you want to follow, why not follow that group?

There's a difference between being interested in a particular *thread*, and
being interested in a particular newsgroup.  I don't subscribe to
lugnet.castle.*, because I don't have the time.  That doesn't mean I'm
totally disinterested in all things Castle-y.  If an interesting discussion
starts in lugnet.build, and veers off in a Castle-y direction, there's a
good chance I'll still be interested in the followup messages in that
thread.

Like Paul said, if it's clear that a new discussion-direction is started,
it makes sense to say something like "this is really interesting.  I'll
post more about it in a new thread in .whereever."  Then post a separate
followup, directed to .whereever.

Of course, threads should be moved only when they're really off-topic, but
if a conversation in .castle drifts into digital imaging, it really *should*
be moved into .publish. This works both ways, of course -- I don't read
.castle regularly, and if the thread isn't moved, I'll miss out.

Another way to manage this would be to x-post to .publish, with followup
set to either .castle or .publish, whichever seems (more) appropriate.

Steve