 Administrative / General / 6083
  Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) LEGO announcements group. Is awareness of the group still too low, or is the interface for mail subscriptions still too confusing? (It was designed for efficiently managing large numbers of groups simultaneously, but not for managing groups (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Well... personally I don't subscribe to any groups, I just go to the web and read them... maybe other people feel the same. (IIRC, you mentionedthat web users and NNTP users are most common around lugnet...?) -Shiri (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) I was comparing other mail subscriptions... (URL) subscriptions climb very slowly...(too slowly sometimes)... --Todd (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Okay, Todd, you talked me into it this time. I just signed up. Might un-subscribe if volume gets too large. And Shiri, I am somewhat surprised that you are not among the few who are subscribed to .off-topic.test. I am not simply due to traffic (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) I like it! however, is there a way to get rid of the cookie once you got it? or do I need to look for it in my jar? :) Dan (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Todd Lehman (<Ft1G3z.Cz3@lugnet.com>) wrote at 03:23:59 (...) Just curious, why is email highly recommended? What are the benefits over NNTP? (speaking as a curmudgeonly stick-in-the-mud luddite :-) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Two ways: 1. Don't ask for it in the first place (uncheck the checkbox before submitting the form). The form still works without a cookie, although it's a bit more work for the user without the cookie. 2. Or, if you already have the cookie, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Oh. Just recommended in this case and the other .announce groups...not for all groups. (Sorry for the confusion.) (...) The benefits of e-mail delivery are few -- compared to NNTP -- but one thing e-mail beats NNTP hands-down for is messages (...) (24 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Did. Still too hard. Try turning things inside out, like most lists do. Especially for a one shot easy to use interface, let me say I want it, then send a confirming mail, which I have to THEN follow the URL back, instead of making me get a (...) (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) ISP's (...) Also slower if you use POP3 and poll the mail server, and especially if you manually initiate all mail downloads... Of course it is still possible to be more timely than a newsfeed. Frank (24 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)

(...) Very very delayed reply (boy oh boy)... But point in case - I don't subscribe to any groups. I read them on the web - I like it better that way! -Shiri (23 years ago, 3-Jul-01, to lugnet.admin.general)