 Administrative / General / 6091
Re: Simplified News-by-Mail signup (was: New newsgroups for LEGO Direct and the LEGO Company)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:35:04 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
To subscribe via SMTP (e-mail), point your web browser here:
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/mail/

Hmm.  So far, only 22 people have signed up for e-mail delivery of the new
LEGO announcements group.  Is awareness of the group still too low, or is
the interface for mail subscriptions still too confusing?  (It was designed
for efficiently managing large numbers of groups simultaneously, but not for
managing groups individually.)

Well...in any case...there's now a shortcut!

To receive lugnet.lego.announce via email (highly recommended), point your
web browser here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/mail/sub/?lugnet.lego.announce

and fill in the blanks.  Give it a shot!  :)

Did.

Still too hard.

Try turning things inside out, like most lists do. Especially for a one shot
easy to use interface, let me say I want it, then send a confirming mail, which
I have to THEN follow the URL back, instead of making me get a confirmation
code first. Getting codes first interferes with natural work task flow.

This was tried from a computer that didn't have the mail cookie, but which WAS
logged in as me. Why not tie this together. If I am logged in and the system
knows it is me, let me manipulate my subscriptions, ESPECIALLY if the address I
am pointing at is one that I have already added as one of mine, sans any
cookie or confirmation code.

My comment on your overall security approach remains as it has
been for some time now:

"excessively paranoid for a site that doesn't manipulate money"

++Lar
System Architect