 Administrative / General / 5893
Re: Technic sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:18:08 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Scott-A wrote:

John Matthews <jmatthew@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:FsH3yy.M7D@lugnet.com...
Please post auction anouncements for Technic to lugnet.technic.market.
Oops, that group does not exist!

Sorry Alan, I am using your post as an example.

Would it not make things easier for everybody if this heirarchy were
created?  I am growing weary of the 'do not post your auction announcement
here' type of posts.  It is obvious to me that this heirarchy is clearly
needed.

Perhaps I am way off base here, could someone indicate to me why this is • not
a good idea?

It is a _very_ good idea. I think, whilst it may be fresh to you, it has
been talked about a lot in the past. Or rather .market.theme groups have.
I'm not sure if it will ever happen though(?). Either way this belongs in
.admin.general... so FUT .admin.general.

I'll spout off on this one again.  Too many hierarchies are counterproductive.
Auction announcement?  Put it in .auction--and only .auction.  A separate
"auction" category should not be created under the heading "technic" or "space"
(or even vice-versa, with .auction being subdivided).  It would tend to obscure
a lot of auctions and, for those who sell parts used in many themes, be
completely useless.  What's more, it would *not* prevent the misposts like the
one that precipitated the observation/suggestion.  The categories are fairly
simple:

WTB/WTT/WTS = .b-s-t
FA = .auction
(I'm leaving aside the OBO/SBA issue, as it has no bearing on the question
concerning this thread and policy has been iterated.)

I like having only two groups to search rather than many, and I don't miss any
posts.  If I need to narrow it further, I can use a keyword search from the
webpage (but there's not enough traffic to warrant it, IMHO).

You may be looking for a reason why we shouldn't subdivide .auction, but I'll
pose the converse:  Why *should* we?  I don't think any net gain in ease-of-use
would be achieved, and you'd have the exact same number of confused misposts, if
not more because of confusion over the new hierarchy.

Leave it as it is, I say.  If it ain't broke...

best

Lindsay