 Administrative / General / 5862
Re: Browser locking up with big threads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 04:44:46 GMT

Kevin Salm once said:
On another matter, I am currently signed in to lugnet, yet when I attempted
to post this message via web interface, I was asked to complete the news
posting set-up.  A bit redundant, IMO.  I am also slightly aggitated that
my lugnet cookie was wiped out again; it has only been a few days since I
posted via HTTP.

Is there an expiration setting on the cookie?

Then Todd Lehman spoke these words:
Which expiration option did you use when you signed in?  If you selected
"...until I sign out manually" then the expiration date for your sign-in
cookies is set to something like the year 2038 (essentially, no expiration).

Do you visit sites with lots of cookies?  I believe Netscape maintains an
LRU (least-recently-used) list and tosses its cookies when they become stale
if there are a lot of sites sending you cookies.  There's some silly non-
user-configurable limit of a few hundred cookies or something like that.

To which Kevin now replies:

I just had to complete the news posting set-up again now to post this via HTTP.

My sign in expiration is currently set to manual/never sign out.  I have had
very few instances of losing my cookie for Lugnet; the difference seems like it
might have something to do with being permanently signed in with member ID.

I use Norton SystemWorks regularly to keep my harddrive in top form, but my
cookies are protected against deletion, as is my Netscape cache.  My
cookies.txt file contains a list of about 60 or so cookies, some for sites that
I have not visited in over 6 months or more.  The Lugnet cookie is about
halfway down the list which indicates that it may not be a NEW lugnet cookie,
but has been resident for some time.
I am still baffled by this disappearing lugnet cookie things, but I can
certainly survive.  I just wanted to inform you incase sign-in is affecting
news posting cookie somehow.

__Kevin Salm__