 Administrative / General / 5843
Re: Browser locking up with big threads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:10:45 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
The page you're loading is the output of a CGI script (rather than a static
HTML page), so although it stays in your browser's cache for when you hit • the
Back and Forward buttons, each time you re-invoke it via a click of a "go • to
location," it regenerates the page.  The server doesn't know (or, rather,
doesn't bother to check, because doing so would be a real mess) what has
changed, if your browser sends If-Modified-Since header as part of its HTTP
request, and similarly it doesn't respond to HEAD.

Hmm, would there be something to being able to know the "modified" time of
stuff on Lugnet? It might be harder for the newsgroup displays, but for
relatively static data like Pause, it could be real beneficial.

Frank