 Administrative / General / 5840
Re: Browser locking up with big threads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 07:26:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Salm writes:
it is loaded.

http://www.lugnet.com/dear-lego/?n=1870&t=i&v=c

Browser -- Netscape 4.51

Details -- Each time I ask for this URL, all browser windows (also in
Lugnet) become frozen until the thread display has completely loaded.

I get that all the time with Netscape Navigator -- all versions.  It's always
had a terrible time displaying super-complex tables.  I'll bet if you load it
up into Mozilla or MSIE5 it'll display a lot quicker.

I don't know what to offer as advice -- wait for NN 6.0?

It is already in my browser cache, and my settings for caching are "ONCE
PER SESSION" for comparing the document in cache to the network version
(default setting?).

The page you're loading is the output of a CGI script (rather than a static
HTML page), so although it stays in your browser's cache for when you hit the
Back and Forward buttons, each time you re-invoke it via a click of a "go to
location," it regenerates the page.  The server doesn't know (or, rather,
doesn't bother to check, because doing so would be a real mess) what has
changed, if your browser sends If-Modified-Since header as part of its HTTP
request, and similarly it doesn't respond to HEAD.

I do not recall if I have experienced this before, but the slight delay I
am getting is not unbearable, just surprising.  It is a rather long thread,
after all.

Yah, it's perfectly normal with Netscape.

On another matter, I am currently signed in to lugnet, yet when I attempted
to post this message via web interface, I was asked to complete the news
posting set-up.  A bit redundant, IMO.  I am also slightly aggitated that
my lugnet cookie was wiped out again; it has only been a few days since I
posted via HTTP.

Is there an expiration setting on the cookie?

Which expiration option did you use when you signed in?  If you selected
"...until I sign out manually" then the expiration date for your sign-in
cookies is set to something like the year 2038 (essentially, no expiration).

Do you visit sites with lots of cookies?  I believe Netscape maintains an
LRU (least-recently-used) list and tosses its cookies when they become stale
if there are a lot of sites sending you cookies.  There's some silly non-
user-configurable limit of a few hundred cookies or something like that.

--Todd