 Administrative / General / 5856
5855  |  5857
Subject:
S'more "newbie welcome" thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:46:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

We started talking about this before but here are a few more thoughts
regarding how to make newbies more comfy with lugnet, and making a first-time
visit be a nice and not a frightening experience.

I understand that Jeremy Sproat or Todd or both (?) are working on
RSS/channels...? So Todd said that the lugnet homepage will be personalized.
In that case, the homepage for newcomers can/will look different than for
veteran users. So here are some suggestions for what the homepage could say
for newcomers...

-explaining a little of what lugnet is about - it's purpose, who comes here,
what the people who come here do, etc.
-giving a SHORT overview of the terms of use (with a link to the full terms,
naturally).
-telling a bit about different types of groups (eg. theme groups, admin
groups, .market groups, .loc groups, .org, etc) and what each is for.
-making it clear that general use (reading, posting, browsing sets, etc) is
FREE but that additional OPTIONAL quirks require paying membership.
-having links like "start reading lugnet newsgroups" and/or "start posting in
lugnet" and/or "start browsing lego sets via lugnet" and/or "see the items in
the spotlight" and, well, you get the picture. Or, alternatively, have a link
to a "How do I start?" page that offers the lugnet homepage (as it is seen
*right now* when you go to www.lugnet.com).
-offering links to more in depth help with reading, posting, browsing sets or
the like.

Do these ideas sound reasonable? Questionable? Undoubtfully stupid?

I'll be happy to join in on creating a more newbie-friendly environment... I
still remember how I felt when my first post to lugnet failed to be posted,
and the second got no replies... :-) So I'll be happy to do anything that
would prevent other people from going through similar experiences.

LMKWYT!

-Shiri