 Administrative / General / 5868
Re: S'more "newbie welcome" thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 20:13:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
What about a newsgroup -> lugnet.newbies, something that newbies can go to and
ask those questions that they want to know, but would feel bad about wasting
everyones time with, anywhere else? Maybe mentiond in the post-setup page and
confirmation email?

Great idea!
I think I came up with the (homepage) idea sometime after Larry mentioned that
new people are being put off by the massiveness of the newsgroups (maybe it
wasn't Larry, I can't remember). So maybe they get freaked out right off the
bat... I dunno. But otherwise, a .newbies group would be great... I think some
veterans get annoyed when the same questions are asked over and over again,
but others don't mind answering them over and over again (like me, I
guess... :-)

I know that I, and a few other people would be willing to hang out there and
offer advice to newbie questions. I might learn something too!

I agree, I'd prolly end up hanging there too ;-)

-Shiri