 Administrative / General / 5111
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:32:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
Scott & Frank, what do you think about separating out some of the • functions of
.admin.general?  (Read:  Do you think less experienced users would feel • more
comfortable in .admin.general if some of the more "hard core" functions • were
moved out to other .admin groups?)

Splitting up .admin.general is something I've kinda wanted to do for a • long
time, but never saw a good reason.  Maybe what you write above is good • enough
reason.

I think that if a new group .admin.news were created (for example) for
newsgroup issues and the like, it would offload that type of discussion • out
of .admin.general and leave it for other issues.

I am not all that sure what you mean. I suppose you are looking at splitting
the issues raised into 2 groups:

1. General Referrals from other groups - miss-posts, bad mouthing, etc
and

I think the best thing that happened along these lines is the "admin.council"
group. The "council" really has the 'old-timers' feel to it. Issues dealing
with LUGNET users are better to be decided by more experienced members of the
community.

2. General ethos of LUGNet type posts - the homepage (the topic of the day),
requests for new groups etc

The current admin group is okay for this, in some way it needs to be more
clear that this group is meant for everyone. I would propose a group:
admin.ideas
An Idea group seems more open for suggestions how LUGNET can be experienced
than an admin.general group.

If so, I think there is a clear distinction between the two - but I'd still
like to maximise the amount of users involved in each of these debates (or
any other debate). I really can see no reason for not doing this. If new
users feel they can help shape LUGNet from day 1, I think this is a good
thing. I'd almost recommend that it'd be the homepage, but that'd be too
much.

So a idea group invites people to help shaping LUGNET just by it's name.

--
Frank Buiting

Visit the LEGO Lexicon: http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/