 Administrative / General / 5085
Re: Cleaning up the main homepage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:28:28 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:Fr6FG4.CGt@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
Frank Buiting <frank.buiting@infopulse.nl> wrote in message
[...]
The admin group 'feels' like the board for experienced LUGNETters to • me,
so who am I to mind LUGNET admin business. Note that this is my • feeling,
but probably more people feel like that.

This may be the problem. I feel new here too. But I'd like to think my
opinion is just as important as a a "newbee" or an old timer. I'm sue we • all
agree on this.

Scott & Frank, what do you think about separating out some of the • functions of
.admin.general?  (Read:  Do you think less experienced users would feel • more
comfortable in .admin.general if some of the more "hard core" functions • were
moved out to other .admin groups?)

Splitting up .admin.general is something I've kinda wanted to do for a • long
time, but never saw a good reason.  Maybe what you write above is good • enough
reason.

I think that if a new group .admin.news were created (for example) for
newsgroup issues and the like, it would offload that type of discussion • out
of .admin.general and leave it for other issues.

I am not all that sure what you mean. I suppose you are looking at splitting
the issues raised into 2 groups:

1. General Referrals from other groups - miss-posts, bad mouthing, etc
and
2. General ethos of LUGNet type posts - the homepage (the topic of the day),
requests for new groups etc

If so, I think there is a clear distinction between the two - but I'd still
like to maximise the amount of users involved in each of these debates (or
any other debate). I really can see no reason for not doing this. If new
users feel they can help shape LUGNet from day 1, I think this is a good
thing. I'd almost recommend that it'd be the homepage, but that'd be too
much.

Scott A

Some admin issues are better off with input mainly from old-timers and • some
are better off with input mainly from newbies, and some are best with a • mix.

Maybe even .admin.newsgroups and .admin.newsreaders (or • .admin.newsclients)
as separate groups, as the former is probably an old-timer magnet and the
latter is probably a mix-magnet or newbie-magnet.

--Todd