 Administrative / General / 4449
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 03:46:12 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

As a note, Scott didn't say he'd donate $10 to Lugnet.  He said "a charity".

Right. And he didn't say which one. Can I nominate the Nikolai and Taya
Pieniazek College Fund?? :-)

Dang, and here I was going to nominate the E. P. Joslin Center for the Study of
the Effects of Bushmill's and Guinness.

And BTW I agree with your long and
well thought out post about the issues with ToS. Interesting
perspective.

That all just kind of fell out of my head as I typed it.  Looking back at it, I
didn't so much mean "I didn't want to bring this up" as "I hadn't thought of it
this way but...".

Did you use mostly canned notes that you could paste in
quickly or did you have to craft your responses by hand each time?

I had a set of very generic canned responses with blanks to be filled in.  They
were purposely composed of brief, uncomplicated paragraphs so as to be highly
modifyable.  You'd be surprised how infrequently that was necessary, though.
Ninety percent of the job was slapping the wrists of people who posted MMF's,
and *of course* most of those were "posted by my kid while I was out of the
room".  Whatever.  As long as they didn't do it again, that's all I cared
about.  After getting a full explaination of A) the illegality, B) the effects
of Spam on Usenet/Email, and C) what would happen if they did it again, only a
very small percentage persisted.

Of course, after the initial contact, it was pretty much crafted by hand each
time.

It was interesting, though.  I did get to personally verbally abuse Wallace
Sanford, as well as one of his lackies, and yank their account.  The lacky went
into how they were going to sue us, and I directed them to our "we can pull
your account at any time we want for no reason" ToS and told him to have a nice
day.

Working an issue to death vs. making sure it's clear in everyone's mind
exactly what is meant is a fine line.

I think I've just about crossed the line for myself.  I think I've made my
feelings on the subject abundantly clear, and like I said, Lugnet is a Happy
Place (as in, "go to your...").

Scott's a doctor, so theoretically fairly bright and able to read stuff
and comprehend what it means (although I'm not sure what his doctorate
is in).

That's what I've been assuming.  Personally, though, I'd like to see something
steeper than a fine (to Lugnet or anywhere else), preferably involving the
revoking of posting priviledges at least temporarily.  Since .buy-sell-trade
seems to be a secondary group for him at best, I'd suggest yanking privs to all
of .market, at least temporarily.  That would hit him where he lives, as
they say.  But as I've said before, I tend to go in for the iron-fisted
johdpur-and-mirrored-sunglasses-wearing dictator approach to rule (at least,
when people cross me).

eric