 Administrative / General / 4414
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:10:33 GMT

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:17:59 GMT, "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com>
wrote:

The problem I have with any thought of permanently banning Scott from BST
(or anyone for that matter) for the next infraction is that Scott's posting
is nowhere near the scale of the only individual which a formal process of
deciding how to handle his posting habits was ignited for. The result of
that formal process was a probationary period, and that individual has
elicited a few "you're starting to stray" notices.

Ok, you're talking about Jonathan Wilson.  I mostly ignore his posts
now, but I'll admit that, in one way, posting auction notices to
groups that don't welcome them doesn't quite reach the overall
negative effect that Jonathan's posts did.  In one way.  In another,
though, doing so does.

I think Todd would agree that one of the main things he had in mind
when setting up the market group structure and limiting auction
announcements to _only_ the .auction group is the negative effect
auction announcements/updates can have on those who absolutely do not
want to read them.

I would imagine that if auction posts were to be allowed on a regular
basis in other groups you could see the same sort of negative effect
as if someone with a bad attitude and a case of rudeness were allowed
to continue to post rude things - people would leave.  That's not what
we want here.

Is Todd over-reacting a little?  Yeah, probably, but maybe not as much
as we think.

Bad attitude, rude behaviour = bad thing.
Disregard for rules, multiple times = bad thing.

Doesn't _matter_ if the disregard doesn't stem from maliciousness but
rather from carelessness.  Rules are rules.  Breaking the rules is
breaking them, whether you were thinking, "ha-ha! I'm gonna break the
rules so screw you" or "la-dee-da, I'm not really thinking about the
rules, not really thinking about them at all, tap-tap-tap, post."  The
end result is the same - rules get broken.

I don't want to see Lugnet turn into something which would really justify
the "compartmentalized dorks" post from RTL of a few months ago. I do
strongly desire posts to be kept in the right place, but lets not go
ballistic and destroy our community over minor transgressions, when far more
serious transgressions happen on a monthly if not more often frequency, and
seem to create no major stir.

I agree, and, to be honest, now that you've brought up the comparison,
I'd rather not see a permanent ban as the choice here, since we'd have
to make the comparison between that and someone who probably should
have been banned but wasn't for much worse..

--
The parts you want and nothing else?