 Administrative / General / 4413
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:27:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
The filter which limits you from posting to .market.buy-sell-trade isn't
there because of perceived intentions, it's there because of repeatedly
demonstrated actions.

I would argure that it is my inaction which caused this situation.

Well, pressing the "Post Message" button (or equivalent) and causing an
auction announcement to appear in .buy-sell-trade is hardly an "inaction."
But whatever...the point was clear, I think.

If the filter is lifted once again, what do you think would be a fair and
reasonable consequence later down the road, should you happen to become
lazy (your word) or forgetful a fourth time and happen to post yet another
auction announcement in .b-s-t?  What would be an effective deterrent to
that?

I'd settle for being treated the same as anyone else.

You're being treated no differently from anyone else, except perhaps with a
bit less tolerance due to the repeat nature of the problem.

Forget justice and
injustice, I'll settle for equality. Look at this post:
http://www.lugnet.com/trains/?n=2553

People came down hard on Jason mainly because he admitted that he knew it
wasn't the most appropriate location for the post.  But I don't see anything
in Jason's post which violated any of the T&C, do you?

As Frank F. pointed out in that thread, here's some additional background
on that general issue:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3147

and then this one a few days later:
http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=3205
At the time I mailed him and toldhim of his error. No problem.

Well, nothing there violates any of the T&C either, although the message is
almost certainly misplaced (off-topic for the .auction group), and it's great
that you mailed him to point that out.

BTW : Is the consensus that a "Pre-Auction Announcement/Sale/Trade" cross
post is ok? Something like:

"I have items A, B & C which I intend to auction on DATE. Until then, they
are available for sale/trade"

Just wondering.

No, that's not OK.  That formula is still an auction announcement, and
furthermore it's totally ripe for abuse.  What's to stop someone from making
such an announcement and setting DATE to be 1 day in the future?  Or 6 hours?
Or 10 minutes?

If people started doing this, then it would become commonplace to announce
all auctions this way -- with progressively shorter sale/trade periods at
the beginning, until .bst became awash in auction announcement crosspostings.
(Yuck.)

The right thing to do is:

1.  Post an announcement of a sale/trade to .bst -- and it's certainly OK
to include a notice that anything which won't be sold by some reasonably
distant (say, at least a few days, I guess) point in the future will go on
the auction block -- but obviously not OK to include auction-specific details
there.  IOW, don't make it stink like an auction for people who detest
auctions.  And then,

2.  If anything is left over later, post an announcement of an auction to
.auction (not crossposted to .bst).

Simple-dimple and no extra work.  Post #2 would have to be made anyway
to let people know what's left even if post #1 were crossposted to .bst.

--Todd