 Administrative / General / 4419
Re: Pre Auction Anouncment/Sale/Trade - Parts & Sets (8448 / 7171 / Pirates)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:45:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:17:59 GMT, "Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com>
wrote:
The problem I have with any thought of permanently banning Scott from BST
(or anyone for that matter) for the next infraction is that Scott's posting
is nowhere near the scale of the only individual which a formal process of
deciding how to handle his posting habits was ignited for. The result of
that formal process was a probationary period, and that individual has
elicited a few "you're starting to stray" notices.

Ok, you're talking about Jonathan Wilson.  I mostly ignore his posts
now, but I'll admit that, in one way, posting auction notices to
groups that don't welcome them doesn't quite reach the overall
negative effect that Jonathan's posts did.  In one way.  In another,
though, doing so does.

Kind of ironic, huh?  :-)  AFAIK, Jonathan hadn't broken any of the T&C for
the discussion groups.  (There's no "you mustn't annoy the bejesus out of
people" rule, and at this point I'm not entirely sure there shouldn't be,
but that'd be a fun open-debate. :-)

I think Todd would agree that one of the main things he had in mind
when setting up the market group structure and limiting auction
announcements to _only_ the .auction group is the negative effect
auction announcements/updates can have on those who absolutely do not
want to read them.

Yup, and the people who not only don't want to read them but also don't want
to even know that they exist.  It seems there was a larger percentage of
vocal folks of this type back in 1994-95 when auctions weren't an everyday
occurrance yet, but I'm sure it's something that will always annoy folks who
want to enjoy the hobby simply and purely and free from issues like auctions
and mega-sales.

I would imagine that if auction posts were to be allowed on a regular
basis in other groups you could see the same sort of negative effect
as if someone with a bad attitude and a case of rudeness were allowed
to continue to post rude things - people would leave.  That's not what
we want here.

Agreed!  If the extra bandwidth from auction noise didn't cause certain types
of people to leave, certainly the ensuing flamewars would.

Something for naysayers to keep in mind:  One of the core tenets behind the
LUGNET discussion group stucture was to bring back old-timers and rekindle
the original sense of "good old-fashioned building and playing" which made
RTL so great in its early years 1993-94.  So far I think it's worked out
great.

I agree, and, to be honest, now that you've brought up the comparison,
I'd rather not see a permanent ban as the choice here, since we'd have
to make the comparison between that and someone who probably should
have been banned but wasn't for much worse..

I'd hate to see a permanent ban either (for Scott) -- and I don't think
it's even necessary -- and that's why I asked Scott what he thought the
consequences should be for him if he goofs it again.  I'd like to see him
come up with something and agree to be held to it.  Basic accountability and
a little responsibility is all I want to see, I guess.

--Todd