 Administrative / General / 4251
Re: Cancelling Posts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:40:10 GMT

I don't believe you can cancel posts with your newsreader that you
posted with the web interface. If you can, that would solve the problem
for a class of users, but not all.

However, I still think this is a facility that Todd should provide. It
is NOT censorship or editorial control for the author to cancel his own
post.

My opinion is that the sticking point is proving (within a program's
logic) beyond a reasonable shadow of doubt that you are who you say you
are, else non authors can cancel each other's posts.

Todd could do it. I remain convinced. He is quite clever. It's just not
as high on his list of priorities as it is on mine.

I wish there were a way to do this, as well, via the web
interface.

When I am motivated to cancel a post, I will go ahead and
use outlook express or netscape to find the post via NNTP
and issue a cancel, but NNTP access is painfully slow from
my site, with many timeouts, and the last time I tried to
cancel something, it wound up never getting cancelled.

In terms of enhancements to the LUGNET web interface, I'd
much prefer Todd spend his time on turning set numbers into
hyperlinks (ie the nomenclature set:6077 into a link to that
image in the pause/lugnet db).  But, then, after that's done,
a way to cancel posts would be great. =)  It doesn't even have to
be easy (ie there's no need to put a cancel button near next to
every post.  It could just be a "cancel post" URL where you
have to provide by hand the number of the post.

--

jthompson@esker.com  "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"