 Administrative / General / 3881
Re: I know its an auction...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 05:42:47 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, John DiRienzo writes:
[...]
Really, now,  I tried to make the images as large as possible, while
still loading in a reasonable time for eBay people, because I figured a • lot
of people would just like to look at them.  I didn't think to make a
separate place on my site, because frankly, I have been a little busy • with
auctions!

Hmm, now that you mention it, I clicked around some more, and you actually
did host the images on your own site.  You could have pointed people to
those images instead of announcing your auction in the .castle group and
pointing them to a page which solicits bids.

   Actually, I admit it (again - you must have missed one of my posts).  I
made another directory with more and better 2000 Castle pictures, but its
not quite ready for mass consumption yet (so don't snoop anymore!)  Still, I
thought it would be exciting for other fans to see the scans.  My thinking
was, "if I wanted to see scans of the new Castle sets that I have not yet
seen, I wouldn't mind looking at an eBay auction for that purpose."
   I could have just given URLs to the individual pics, but as I've said
before so roundaboutly, that idea had not come to me at the time.  Hind
sight is 20/20.  I was afraid one or two may flame me (so I used an
appropriate, warning type, subject), but I did not expect a battle over
semantics, as I thought my intentions were pure.  I guess you don't think
thats the case, and that I can understand.  I will try to think before I
act, in the future.

And truthfully, I am not trying to solicit bids in this particular group;
eBay gets plenty of bids from itself and posts on other groups.
[...]

Whether or not you're "trying to" solicit bids, you *are* soliciting bids,
especially when 75% of the body of your message was pure URL as opposed to
anything substative (like what Larry did last week).

   What did Larry do last week? Which group?  I am still not caught up with
~every~ group!
   The exact URLs were for the benefit of those might not want to comb
through my (tempting) seller's list, which is usually the only URL I include
in auction announcement type posts (and was not includedin this post).

If I put my old 493 Space Command Center set with gray sloped bricks for
craters up for auction on eBay and included a really nice scan of it, and
then announced the URL of that auction in the .space newsgroup, claiming
that the URL was the so that people could go look at the pretty picture,
what do you think people would say?

   What they usually ask me, of course, "Where do you find all these?!"

--Todd
--
   Have fun!
   John