 Administrative / General / 381
Re: Another NIT about the article page.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:57:01 GMT

Todd Lehman writes:
The Back button is almost always the best way to go back in a non-framed web
site.  Sites that have "back" links and "return to x" links on web pages
really mess up navigation and undermine the elegant stack-based design of
the browser.

Agreed. Except in certain circumstances. For example, many sites built around
forms and CGI scripts can get confused by reuse of already posted forms.
Including this one, in the sense that if I posted this article, got a
confirmation, and pressed the post button, two posts result. User error, and
NOT one (1) to defend against.

What is spiffy about back/forward is that until you go somewhere else, your
forward button usually does useful things as well. Once you do that, though,
you prune the revisit tree as it were. They don't call it NAVIGATION for
nothing!

New nit: Can I get this posting page a bit smaller? It would be nice if the
whole thing fit on one  800x600 fullscreen (minus button bar and office
toolbar) Netscape window... perhaps smaller fonts? Or less space to write my
article? Or lose the boilerplate about cleaning up sigs/quoted text.. put it
behind a "hints" button or something.

1 - Todd pointed out an exception to my <pontificate>. I didn't post agreement
at the time, but construe this footnote as such. :-)

2 - Todd may want to prefix decrement (--Todd) himself, but I tend to
increment, especially when I'm on the road and eating too much restaurant
food.(3)

3 - the above is a bad C++ pun.

++Lar (2)