 Administrative / General / 3347
Re: What makes an something an auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 02:06:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

Disagree. A single round sealed bid auction is still an auction.

Here is some food for thought...

[long explanation snipped]

Well, if you set N=1, then the line segment [0,1] is
a "unit 1-cube" and and the single point 0 is a "unit 0-cube."  Now, points,
line segments, and squares are degenerate cases of cubes, but are they
really cubes in spirit?  No, the word "cube" is just a label there.

Similarly, a single-round sealed-bid auction is nothing more than a
degenerate case of a full-fledged auction.  Is it really an auction in
spirit?  Heck, no.  The word "auction" there is just a label.

   I agree. (That's a strong argument, though most people probably wouldn't
agree with me. Sorry, I'm a math person :-) (1)

-Shiri

(1) Please don't hold that against me... ;-)