 Administrative / General / 2770
Re: What makes an something an auction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 20:42:45 GMT

Disagree. A single round sealed bid auction is still an auction.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=auction

I agree with Larry on this one.  Though I think that "single round
sealed bid auctions" should be allowed in bst. :)

One might also argue that computer science is science.  (It's not.)

--Todd

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=science

It would seem to fit my definition of a science.  To me, something is
a science if you use the scientific method (including things like
Psychology, Sociology, Math and Computer Science) and Webster's
definition 3 seems good to me.

"3 a : knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or
the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested
through scientific method b :such knowledge or such a system of
knowledge concerned with the physical world and its phenomena :
NATURAL SCIENCE"

Ben Roller

(Further discussion on the science, if any, should be moved to
lugnet.off-topic.debate)