 Administrative / General / 3314
  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) I don't know what whinge or whinging is... Do you mean whine or whining? Is this a regional word? --Todd (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) Well, a quick search reveals one other poster using this word: (URL) it can't be a simple misteak. It's actually on the Merriam-Webster dictionary: (URL) while not a definitive source, it at least quells any paranoid fear that I just made the (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) I knew what you meant. I tend not to use the word because most people look at me like I grew an extra head, but I do know what it means. It looks like they pretty much mean the same thing, to me, btw (whine and whinge). They certainly seem to (...) (25 years ago, 27-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) is (...) Yes. From the rec.arts.sf.fandom FAQ 30. What is whinging?   A. This wonderfully expressive term seems to be primarily a British and Australian usage, or at least not a North American one.  To quote the Oxford English Dictionary:   (...) (25 years ago, 28-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) It sounds just about right! The implication being (for me) that there is some degree of justification for whinging. The 'for me' being because as I've learned this word from context, other peoples perceptions will possibly be different! (...) (25 years ago, 28-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: lugnet.whinge?

(...) Not entirely true. To me a whine is more derogatory as it tends to mean (in Australia, NZ and I think the UK where this word is most prevalent) someone is complaining about something in a really really annoying way. Think little kids when Mum (...) (25 years ago, 29-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  lugnet.rant? (Was: Re: lugnet.whinge?)

In lugnet.admin.general, Peter Callaway writes: <Snipped the most eloquent description so far!> (...) Someone having a rant would be about here? (...) :) That was the sort of thing that I was thinking of before - that ranting/whinging can be (...) (25 years ago, 29-Nov-99, to lugnet.admin.general)