 Administrative / General / 3317
Re: lugnet.whinge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:58:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Richard Franks" <spontificus@__nospam__yahoo.com>
writes:

Just a thought: it's nice to whinge occasionally - it's good to have a vent
for your feelings. Eg. I think that lugnet.dear-lego should be for more
constructive comments, but it seems like the most on-topic place to whinge
about TLC at present. Besides, if you know that you're whinging when you are
whinging then that can make you more realistic, and help you focus on what • is
*really* bothering you. Sometimes :)

Richard

I don't know what whinge or whinging is...  Do you mean whine or whining?
Is this a regional word?

--Todd

Yes.

From the rec.arts.sf.fandom FAQ

30. What is whinging?

A. This wonderfully expressive term seems to be primarily a British and
Australian usage, or at least not a North American one.  To quote the Oxford
English Dictionary:

whinge, v. orig. Sc. and north. dial. Forms: 6 quhinge,
quhynge, 9 winge, wheenge, 8 whindge, 7_ whinge, 20 winge.
[North. form of OE. hwinsian, corresp. to OHG. win(i)sôn
(MHG. winsen; cf. MHG., G. winseln):---OTeut. *_winisojan,
f. root of hwínan to whine. For the suffix cf. OE. clænsian
to cleanse, bletsian to bless, rícsian to rule, ON. hreinsa
to cleanse; for the phonology of the form whinge
cf. clenge, ringe, north. forms of cleanse, rinse.]

intr. To whine; esp. to complain peevishly.  Hence
whinging (also w(h)ingeing) vbl. n. and ppl. a.
[Sorry, this isn't 7-bit clean--the etymology may
look weird to some people, but the definition should
be clear.]

//

So what's the difference between whinging and whining?  From what
I gather, whinge is a slightly less pejorative term than whine, which
denotes (to people who use both terms) the high-pitched keening that we
associate with an animal whine.  This close, Richard?

--

jthompson@esker.com    "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emi