 Administrative / General / 3315
Re: lugnet.whinge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:35:53 GMT

Just a thought: it's nice to whinge occasionally - it's good to have a vent
for your feelings. Eg. I think that lugnet.dear-lego should be for more
constructive comments, but it seems like the most on-topic place to whinge
about TLC at present. Besides, if you know that you're whinging when you are
whinging then that can make you more realistic, and help you focus on what
is *really* bothering you. Sometimes :)

I don't know what whinge or whinging is...  Do you mean whine or whining?
Is this a regional word?

Well, a quick search reveals one other poster using this word:
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2137

So it can't be a simple misteak.

It's actually on the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm

Which while not a definitive source, it at least quells any paranoid fear that
I just made the word up, or that I was being squiffy-minded.

But you are right - it is linked to whining, although my personal impression of
it is that there is usually a reason for whinging; rather than whining which
can be more of a passtime. It's not a great candidate for a group name though,
if only two Lugnet users have used it, and it's meaning isn't well known :)

Richard