 Administrative / General / 3203
Re: Two users - one PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:43:05 GMT

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 23:55:17 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Marcus Fischer Mellbin writes:
[...] The problem is that my son and I seem to have to share the same user
ID as it seems Lugnet can only access one cookie at a time. I *hate*
posting under Marcus' name and he refuses to post under mine (!) Is there
a solution to this ?

Not yet, no.  Not directly anyway.

I imagine one solution would be for me to change the cookie each time I
wanted to post a message (to mine), however then I need to know more about
the way Lugnet uses its cookies and where they are stored.

Your best bet would be, as JeremyS suggested, to use Navigator with its
multiple profile feature, or to use a real newsreader (like Forte Free Agent
or Microplanet Gravity, for example) when accessing the groups, instead of
the web interface.  Me, I've got two installations of Agent, one for LUGNET
and one for RTL.  Hardly takes up any extra disk space.

--Todd

For Agent you don't even need two installations, you can use one installation
and different folders for each site.  Here's how I did it:

Under your agent directory create two directories (mine are RTL and Lugnet).
Then create two shortcuts to the Agent program (either on your desktop or
taskbar, wherever).  In one of them set the "Start in" directory to the Lugnet
directory and in the other point to the RTL directory.  Then rename each
shortcut to indicate which group it points to.  If you have other newsgroups
sites just repeat the process for each one.  I much prefer using Agent to the
web browser for news.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |