 Administrative / General / 3202
Re: New Group Suggestion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 01:41:54 GMT

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 04:06:16 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:
Todd,
This might sound kind of odd, but I'll just jump in:

There should be a lugnet.mindstorms group.

I realize there are already a large number of robotics groups, which are very
active, but there's not a single product-oriented group for LEGO™ MINDSTORMS™.

Because applications of LEGO MINDSTORMS actually go far beyond robotics?  Or
just for completeness/correctness?

Actually, I was looking for a place to ask (possibly dumb) questions related to
the kits themselves.  My questions/topics don't seem on-topic for groups devoted
to discussing robot design, or hacking the internals, or using alternate OS's,
or anything like that.

It's a funny thing -- we figured out how to handle the lugnet.trains
situation to avoid duplication and having two trains groups...

Can't bat 1000 all the time.

Anyway, that's why there currently isn't a .mindstorms group -- because it's
a big can of worms -- but I totally agree in principle/theory that a
mindstorms group/category should be created in _some_ way.  But taking
steps toward that have to be done _very_ carefully, so as not to open the
can of worms too hastily.

I can see how trying to align robotics discussions with official product
offerings is a challenge.  And ultimately non-useful.

I think a perfectly safe first step would be to create a non-discussion-
group category off the root, i.e. /mindstorms/, and point it at other things
via virtual subcategories (links).  But I don't know about further steps
just yet.

That's a thought.  Doesn't help me out, because I'm interfacing via a
newsreader.  It might be a help to other people, but I'm not sure.

I like Paul's suggestion (from <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=3193>):

What about a lugnet.robotics.mindstorms subgroup (with possible .extreme
and so on [sub]subgroups for add-on packs)?

That would work for me, but would violate your site-structure.

Steve