 Administrative / General / 3150
Re: Marketplace & Terms of Use (was: Re: UPDATE: UNOPENED GERMAN CASTLE SETS TO SELL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:54:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
writes:
[...]
I still think that keeping market stuff restricted to market.* is a Good Idea.
[...]

Me too (generally speaking), but note that FS's, WTT's, WTB's, etc. are much
fuzzier to identify than auction announcements/updates/listings/etc.  For
example, consider what DavidE just posted to the .adventurers group earlier
today...

   http://www.lugnet.com/adventurers/?n=358

It's not exactly a WTB because he's looking for information on where he can
find parts himself and it also contains a lot of other useful and thought-
provoking information, but it's easy to imagine something halfway between
David's post and a classic WTB post.  Where do you draw the line?  Is

   "WTB: 10 gray 2x5x6 gray castle walls"

inappropriate in a Castle group, but

   "I would like to buy 10 gray walls for my new castle I'm planning with
    these cool features:  x, y, z"

appropriate?

How about the loc groups?  Someone who finds a 1992 set at a local toystore
in Timbuktu, buys it, and wants to sell it at cost to someone locally
(meeting in person) shouldn't _have to_ post to the .market.buy-sell-trade
group, IMHO, if a local group would serve that purpose better.  Especially
in the case of in-person pick-ups, or non-worldwide mailings, posting to
buy-sell-trade may even just be noise.  That's the main reason why
non-auction market stuff was never written into the Terms of Use as being
strictly verboten outside of the .market.* hierarchy.

Auctions, on the other hand, are much less fuzzy.  They're not 100% black
and white, of course (OBO's with updates being one example), but mostly,
they tend to contain the word "auction" and they generate lots of traffic
with a low signal-to-noise ratio, and 99% of all auctions involving LEGO are
worldwide because the the hassle to the seller of sending something out of
the country is usually outweighed by the benefit of obtaining higher bids by
admitting a greater number of people.  That's the main reason why auction
stuff _was_ written into the Terms of Use as being verboten outside of
market.auction.

--Todd