 Administrative / General / 3148
Re: Marketplace & Terms of Use (was: Re: UPDATE: UNOPENED GERMAN CASTLE SETS TO SELL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
writes: • <snip>
A clarification here:

The Discussion Group Terms and Conditions (specifically, point #11, quoted
above) cover auction announcements, updates, and listings, but they don't
cover non-auction stuff like FS's or WTT's or WTB's (those have been left
undefined in the Terms of Use document).

Oh.  <blink blink>  Right then.  I'll return to gentle nudging. ;)

So technically, FS's and WTT's and WTB's can appear anywhere.  But since
these tend to annoy and upset people, I usually (if I see one) write the
poster and ask them to keep those sorts of things to the .buy-sell-trade
group.  Also, in a post a couple months ago, I asked everyone to help in
remind people (gently) that .buy-sell-trade is the best place for FS & WTB
posts:

  http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2907

yet while it's hoped that things continue to gravitate toward the .market.*
groups naturally, it needs to be pointed out that it is *not* a requirement
of the Terms of Use per se that all FS's and WTT's and WTB's be posted only
in .market.buy-sell-trade.  This is probably why newbies are posting those
sorts of things in the "wrong" place -- because it's not against the written
rules, only against the community's sort-of unwritten rules.  I think this
is a "disconnect" that needs to be addressed somehow, either by making non-
auction market stuff explicitly verboten outside of .market.* or by making
it more explicit that they're not verboten.

I still think that keeping market stuff restricted to market.* is a Good Idea.

The reason that auction announcements/updates/listings are restricted by the
Terms of Use to the .market.auction group is because of the much larger
relative bandwidth and waves caused by auctions as compared to other market
activities.

Understood.  In my brain, they all clasify as "intruding adverts", but like I
said, I'm probably more vehement than most - I hang up on phone solicitors,
close the door on salesmen in mid-pitch, and frequently remind clerks and
store salesmen that their job is to answer questions I have, not to pre-empt
me.

Thanks for the clarification, I will respond to such posts more appropriately
in the future.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/