 Administrative / General / 3155
Re: Marketplace & Terms of Use (was: Re: UPDATE: UNOPENED GERMAN CASTLE SETS TO SELL)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:45:41 GMT

It seems like we need to re-visit the "rules" here. The current round
seems close to a flame war, which suggests that the rules are not clear.

I know that the line is a fuzzy line, and there will always be fuzzy
lines, but we can place the line such that people will generally stay on
the right side, and when they cross over, people will think "Well, that
was a little out of line, but I'll let it slide unless it becomes a
trend."

It seems to me to be problematical to generally allow most marketing
posts, except auctions, from the non-market groups. One problem is that
it's not always clear what is an auction post and what isn't. Also,
people seeing lots of for sale posts, are liable to make an assumption
that any type of for sale is allowed in the theme groups as long as it
is selling theme related stuff, even when the sale is actually an
auction.

On the other hand, often a discussion will raise an issue of someone
wanting something, or someone wanting to dispose of something. I think
that a clear cut case may be made that if someone posts a market type of
thing in response to a non-market thread, that that is ok, so long as
they make it clear that the offers should not be posted to the
non-market group. Someone just out of the blue offering to buy, trade,
or sell something should keep to the market groups.

Like always, I am just voicing my opinions (and trying to think out
loud).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com