 Administrative / General / 2881
2880  |  2882
Subject:
DAT line parsing (was: Re: Datsville: crane2 (exponents?))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:10:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.models, John VanZwieten writes:
In lugnet.cad.dat.models, Kevin Loch writes:
For some reason, the lines with exponents don't render in ldlite when
I use the dat hyperlink in web mode.  ldlite,ldraw and l3p/povray
render them fine locally.  I made it in MLcad.  Is this a bug?
There is no need for e-15 exponents anyway so I substituted 0 for all
exponents. let's try it again.

If not a bug, at least a nit.  I think if you open the file in LDAO's
editor, select the whole text and MoveExact by 1, then move it all back,
LDAO will get rid of the exponents.

My bad.  'Twas a bug in the code in the ldraw.cgi script on the server which
recognized DAT content.  It wasn't expecting 'e' exponents in numbers.

The old regex (just the non-type-0 portion):

   /^ \s*
    [1-5]
    (?: \s+ [0-9]+ )
    (?: \s+ \-? [0-9]* \.? [0-9]* ){6,12}
    (?: \s+ \S+ \. [Dd][Aa][Tt] )?
    \s* $
   /x

The new regex (just the non-type-0 portion):

   /^ \s*
    [1-5]
    (?: \s+ [0-9]+ )
    (?: \s+ \-? [0-9]* (?: \. [0-9]* )?  (?: [Ee] [\-\+]? [0-9]+ )?  ){6,12}
    (?: \s+ \S+ \. [Dd][Aa][Tt] )?
    \s* $
   /x

This is better in that it now accepts 'e' exponents, but it still gives
false positives on any malformed lines which it might encounter, for example
a type-2 line ending in ".DAT" or containing 13 arguments rather than 7, etc.

If anyone has a Perl5 regex which handles all styles of DAT-content lines
with no false positivies and which isn't non-understandably complex[1] and
doesn't do excessive backtracking, please send it my way!

Also, if anyone knows of any other "funny stuff" that Turbo Pascal might
embed on a line, I'd like to know that too.  (Exponents aren't really "funny
stuff," but I was very surprised to see them output because so many DAT files
have the numbers chopped 2 or 3 places after the decimal point.)

--Todd

[1] for example, the 6598-byte long e-mail address regex in Appendix B of the
wise-owls book is something I'd call "non-understandably complex."  :)

(followups to lugnet.cad.dev)