 Administrative / General / 2843
Re: NNTP Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 02:27:43 GMT

Todd,

Thanks for your reply,

Virtual Access was originally created by Ashmount Technology, then bought by
Virtual Technology Corp, and currently owned by Atlantic Coast Software (who also
bought CompuServe SWREG service).

The software is so stable (maybe 4 or 5 crashes a year and most realistically due
to NT's explorer shell messing up) that I've never wanted to move my home
email/news system off of it, and I've been using it for about 4-5 years probably
since I used the 3.50 16-bit version on Win3.1.  The 32-bit version 4.5 is what
I'm running and supports CompuServe (the main reason I started using it) as well
as regular news and email.  I've seen timeouts before when there have been other
Internet or particular server-related problems, but this is consistently failing,
and my connection has been extremely reliable for the last few months.

Tonight, I got the following on the first lugnet pass where I picked up your
reply.  I noticed that the status dialog stopped at "headers 14, full 9" in
lugnet.admin.general before timing out.  This usually indicates that it may or may
not be finished with the headers but it definitely has more full messages to read.

Lugnet connection started Thu, 09-Sep-99 20:45:18
ERR Error during receive.WS_ERR(10060), Operation timed out (nntpclnt #711)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Error during receive.WS_ERR(10060), Operation timed out (nntpclnt #711)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
ERR Operation timed out (nntpclnt #648)
Connect completed at 20:52:12

I'll usually just keep running it again (it won't need to get messages it already
got on earlier passes) until it completes all the newsgroups - it will be only a
few messages per group.  When it is retreiving it does get great throughput -
around 5-6kbps - probably only using 1 B-channel, until it stops and the
throughput (average throughput starts to go down when no data coming in).

The other news servers I access are:

news.msy.bellsouth.net (over 1000 messages a day)
publicnews.msn.com (around 10 messages a day)

Anyway to answer your questions:

Virtual Access is at http://www.atlantic-coast.com/va/

I'm running 4.50 build 266 (apparently there is a 4.52 version available)

NT Workstation 4.0 SP 4

10MBit LAN connection (ISDN LANModem provides NAT, DHCP etc with 128-kbps on
demand dialup connection)

Other than the NAT there is no firewall.  My Dynamic IP at the NAT doesn't change
very often.

Usually after work from around 7:00PM to 10:00PM CST.

US, Louisiana, near New Orleans, BellSouth residential ISDN service.

Thanks in advance,

Cade Roux