 Administrative / General / 2829
Re: NNTP Problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Cade Roux <cade@acm.org> writes:
I use Virtual Access to retrieve newsgroups.  I've set it to retrieve all
messages in about 12 groups on lugnet.com.  It usually times out and has
to be run again.  It took 6 passes to get all 80 some messages tonight in
all those groups.  I follow some microsoft.public newsgroups, and regularly
retrieve over 1000 messages in more groups without error.

Virtual Access starts retrieving headers and shortly after, starts retrieving
full bodies as appropriate (I have it set to get full bodies) in a single
pass - if that is of any use.  Are there any other public NNTP servers besides
lugnet.com.

I would prefer not to use mail to follow the discussions, because I sometimes
read my primary mailbox at work and it can get too full to quickly scan for
material which must be replied to immediately.

Some questions:

- Who makes Virtual Access and where can it be downloaded (URL?)

- What version of Virtual Access are you running?

- What OS are you running?

- What type & speed of Internet connection are you running?

- Are you behind a firewall?

- What time of the day are/were you seeing the problems?

- What country and state are you accessing from?

Thanks,
--Todd