 Administrative / General / 2835
Re: DAT file updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:20:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
it.  Disk space is so cheap these days.  In fact,
even at the rate that the news articles have been building up in recent
months, it would still take more than 10 years to gobble up all the
remaining disk space on the server, and that's including the search index.

Todd, I'm curious about these numbers.  Is LUGNET now in the gigabyte
range?  Have you even come close to the point where you need multi-drive
volumes?

I'm not sure what to count when looking at the numbers, but there's about
6 GB of data on the disk, counting the OS and everything.  The news system
is well under 1GB and all the images and web data are as well.  There's lots
of gunk and test-gunk and old tar-gunk sitting around waiting to be deleted
when more space is needed.  Probably will install a second SCSI drive (8 or
16 GB) sometime in the next 3 or 4 months, just for extra breathing room.

--Todd