 Administrative / General / 2831
Re: DAT file updates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:42:04 GMT

People who post via newsreaders SHOULD be able to cancel the original
and repost. But of course that plays havoc with threading as the
reposted post is no longer at the top of a thread... the rest of the
thread is orphaned.

How about some sort of solution where the file is sent to an FTP site
and the post only refers to it? LDLite should still work, you just have
to click on the ftp link...

John VanZwieten wrote:

Todd,

With all the large models being submitted for Datsville, I was wondering if
there is the potential for gobbling up too much of your space.  Particularly
I'm thinking about when people make updates to their buildings, add cars,
people, etc.

I think people right now are hesitant to post repeated updates of the same
model due to respect for your resources.  Is this concern well-founded?  Would
there be any way of having an updated .dat file replace the original, rather
than just being added to it?

I know your general rule is not to alter previous posts, but might this be a
worthwhile exception?

-John Van

lugnet.