 Administrative / General / 2830
  DAT file updates

Todd, With all the large models being submitted for Datsville, I was wondering if there is the potential for gobbling up too much of your space. Particularly I'm thinking about when people make updates to their buildings, add cars, people, etc. I (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

People who post via newsreaders SHOULD be able to cancel the original and repost. But of course that plays havoc with threading as the reposted post is no longer at the top of a thread... the rest of the thread is orphaned. How about some sort of (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

(...) Todd, I'm curious about these numbers. Is LUGNET now in the gigabyte range? Have you even come close to the point where you need multi-drive volumes? Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

(...) Nah, don't worry about it. Disk space is so cheap these days. In fact, even at the rate that the news articles have been building up in recent months, it would still take more than 10 years to gobble up all the remaining disk space on the (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

(...) At least he's running a nice OS. Which BSD variant is it? I haven't seen a "what this box is". Does BSD have RAID support? Ciao! (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

(...) I'm using 2 9Gig drives and the FreeBSD ccd driver. I works like a champ. I did some measurements and I actually got twice the throughput (20MB/s) vs 10MB/s for a single drive. It also seems to buffer nicely (just like Sun's DiskSuite, where (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

(...) I'm not sure what to count when looking at the numbers, but there's about 6 GB of data on the disk, counting the OS and everything. The news system is well under 1GB and all the images and web data are as well. There's lots of gunk and (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: DAT file updates

Yeah, disk space is cheap. Wish the same could be said about memory. :( Glad I grabbed an extra dimm last month when it was still cheap. -- The parts you want and nothing else? (URL) - Just Another Brick Auction Why pay eBay? Run your own LEGO (...) (25 years ago, 9-Sep-99, to lugnet.admin.general)