 Administrative / General / 2814
Re: Very early look at new look
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 03:41:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> writes:

I set myself up as editor for the root homepage and the /admin/ and some
other areas, so now when I go there, I see a little button that says "Edit
This."  If I click that, I get an edit-box and I can make instant changes
or additions right there through the web page and save them back.

Any plans on how this will be implemented in the other groups?  Logistically,
I mean.  Mainly, I'm thinking about distribution of the FAQ.  Which I need to
get cracking on...

Ya definitely the FAQ could come into play in a big way w.r.t. all of this.
Let's talk more in detail about the FAQ after the Handy Board list is all
settled in (might be a couple weeks) and the interface to the editing system
is more solidified (it's still kind of alpha jelly).

Anyway, here's a little demo of the new editing system -- what it can do...

I took the text from CLSotW pick #144 (Bonnie King's models) and made it
into this page:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-144

The source for that page is here:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-144.ftx

Then I did a little bit more complicated one:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-145
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-145.ftx

And then I converted this week's pick, and asked it to embed a couple news
articles:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-148
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-148.ftx

That worked pretty slick.  Then I did the one from the first week of August
(Ben's Millennium Falcon) and put in all sorts of stuff:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-143
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool-143.ftx

Then I made this little foofoo test page which tests embedded images:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/?p=buttons
   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/?p=buttons.ftx

Now here's the really cool part...  :)  Not only can news articles and
images be embedded in pages, but pages can be embedded within other pages.
So just for fun, I embedded this week's CLSotW pick on the lugnet.loc.jp
newsgroup homepage:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/jp/
   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/jp/?p=.ftx

And here's a page which embeds the 6 most recent CLSotW picks on a single
page:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=cool.ftx

And here's a page which (gawd, does it render slowly; I'll have to see if
the HTML can't be optimized) embeds the /loc/jp/ text, which in turn embeds
this week's CLSotW text.  It also includes the page which includes the 6
CLSotW picks, and the root homepage's text, and a couple other pages:

   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=mega-slurp
   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=mega-slurp.ftx

Pages can be embedded/nested arbitrarily deep (limited only by the editor's
insanity level and the browser's ability to render the page :-).

Anyway, w.r.t. the FAQ, some of this new editing system might apply and some
of it might not.  (Not sure how much yet, but your input is greatly
appreciated.)  Certainly, the entire FAQ (and zillions of other types of
pages) could be done like this right now at this very moment (given enough
time to type it all :-) but there are loose ends to be tied up in the design
first before diving into creating lots of data in this interlinking format.
(Mainly, it's not very automation-friendly yet because it doesn't yet store
meta-information with the pages.)

Finally, back to what was alluded to on Friday here...

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2793

This is how the SF page looks:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/

and here's the source for that:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/us/ca/sf/?p=.ftx

--Todd

p.s.  All of the URLs shown above will stick around for at least a few days,
but since this is proof-of-concept testing, they're not guaranteed to stay
around forever at those same URLs.