 Administrative / General / 2579
2578  |  2580
Subject:
Mentors (was: Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:56:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

I will state again, Todd should create a mentoring mechanism to allow a
person, group or committee to review and allow posts to pass. That
mentoring mechanism has wide applicability, beyond this narrow use of
probating one user.  [...]

Strongly agreed!

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=814

And actually, it wouldn't be all that difficult to implement if (a) we used
the 'Approved-By' header for this and (b) the mentor was able to edit raw
NNTP messages to add this header.  That's really the only sticky bit on the
client side:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1601

On the server side, I think it would be fairly straightforward to include
flags in the lookups for a person, saying whether they were:

  - allowed to post freely anywhere
  - restricted to/from certain groups
  - on mentorship status to/from certain groups

and in the latter case, who to forward a post to via email before rejecting
it.  We already have the first two flags, I'd just need to add the third one
and logic to handle it.

But better yet, I think, is your suggestion to queue up posts and let the
mentors browse and address them directly via the website -- clicking a Pass
or Fail button and being able to add comments.  That avoids the whole messy
issue of the 'Approved-By' header.  But that's also presumes the existence
of other things which aren't yet in.

--Todd