 Administrative / General / 2574
Re: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:42:25 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

How about we give Todd a break?

Agreed in the specific, a numerical limit per day is low value add. Todd
should not do it, IMHO.

Disagree in general with the proposition "there exist no high value add
things that could be coded to effect a partial or total solution to this
problem".

I will state again, Todd should create a mentoring mechanism to allow a
person, group or committee to review and allow posts to pass. That
mentoring mechanism has wide applicability, beyond this narrow use of
probating one user. In particular it can be a group of experts passing
judgement on matters of fact such as part counts or other matters which
will drive the accuracy of things like the inventory database, such
judgement applying to ALL posts to a specific group, or later in the
realization of the manifesto, all assertions about linkage between facts
of a certain category.

Todd himself mentioned something very similar to me before LUGNET was
more than a beta test with less than 20 users. The experts in that case
would be people like Joshua D. and others of his vast knowledge, passing
judgement on assertions about sets containing specific parts or not, or
the cad.dev stalwarts, passing judgement on the fidelity and
acceptiblity of parts for inclusion in the lib (replacing the current
voting mechanism).

So that facility, or something very like it, is a needful thing, a
planned thing, and could, if it existed, be used here. Acknowledge it's
an open question whether priorities should be shifted to have it get
implemented now. LUGNET is developed under the cathedral model, rather
than the bazaar, so it's a matter of what would we all wish that Todd
worked on next (all of us, or most all, certainly acknowledging that he
is under no obligation to work on ANYTHING, much less what we want....
but grateful all the same that he does what he does) rather than a
matter of finding a volunteer not already occupied to code it within
Todd's architectural fabric (the way that Linux things get done, for
example).

PS, don't forget to trim those groups from your posting! only .a.g, not
starwars et al.

lugnet.