 Administrative / General / 2293
Re: Legitimate use LUGNET Logo?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 02:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Bram Lambrecht" <BramL@JUNO.com> writes:

Todd:
Are these images allowed?

Bram, no, please don't use or distribute those images for web pages.
Reasons:

1.  They use the wrong typeface for the logo text.  (It's most visible in
    the largest of the three images.)  The right typeface is Futura Bold.

2.  They don't show a TM symbol.  (Which reminds me, I still need to fix the
    buttons that I made last fall -- they don't show a TM symbol either.
    I'll fix those tonight if I can get to it; I just took the page offline
    for now.)

3.  The biggest of the three is too large for comfort (in pixel count), and
    the middle of the three has embedded error-diffusion pixellation (in the
    GIF image itself as opposed to an artifact of post-transmission error-
    diffusion on 8-bit displays).

4.  Since the text is flush at the top and bottom of the images, those
    images only work on a black background.  That in itself is not a
    problem, but if a clueness newbie puts one of them up on a white
    background (and I'm sure *some*body out there would eventually try),
    then that -is- a problem, because it makes LUGNET look bad for having
    distributed an image which doesn't "work," even if it's actually someone
    else's fault for misusing it on an incompatible background.

[...]
BTW, it was a pain to find the button page.  Maybe you should link to it
directly from the front page.

OK, that sounds like a good idea, now that things are beginning to feel more
cohesive and the homepage actually means something when it's linked to.

Let me see if I can whip together a new set of images -- ones which contain
the TM symbol and ones which are closer to what you're trying to do.

--Todd