 Administrative / General / 1700
Re: Off Topic: New location for Austalia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 02:44:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Jamie Obrien wrote:
As Subject, wqould it be possible to get a lugnet.loc.au for
australia, or even an lugnet.loc.au.nz for australia and new zealand.

Jamie,
There has always been a lugnet.loc.au and a lugnet.loc.nz.

But he wants a lugnet.loc.au.nz to enforce the OZ view that nz is part
of au. You might as well give into the MOZ view that au is part of nz.
:-)

Oh.  I see.

Jamie:  All of the loc groups are parallelized and orthogonalized by
country.  The two-letter designators (that is, the xx's in lugnet.loc.xx)
are the countries' respective Internet first-level domains, so as long as
New Zealand has its own top-level domain, that's where it stays.  Scotland
and Northern Ireland are technically part of the UK, so that's why those
countries are listed inside the .loc.uk hierarchy.

--Todd