 Administrative / General / 1733
Re: UK / Great Britain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 21:43:03 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
So where is lugnet.loc.gb then?  It itself is a top level domain -
You're serious, then?  Hmm, I don't think I've never ever seen it used.
Do you remember where did you heard/saw that?

I've never seen it used - I've only ever seen a place offering you to
sell you one once - that was deep in the Internet-Admin sites.

I got it off http://www.rtw.com.au/internet/suffixes.html - not exactly
the most official place to find it but they must have got it from
somewhere.

But I got that information straight from the CIA.  :-)
Please correct me if it's wrong.  Here is the URL:
   http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/uk.html#gov

OK, the name UK of GB and NI first came into use in 1927 - I've never
heard of it but it  seems logically and so correct (in this case).  Some
of the stuff on the CIA UK page were a bit misleading - constitutional
monarchy is one thing - we aren't ruled by our monarchy - the Queen
reads the list of laws to be introduced and discussed by Parliament -
this Parliament has been voted in by the people.  Many of the political
party names have been spelt wrong like Labour has been spelt Labor -
although this is the US spelling on a US site the Labour Party is a
proper noun and so can't be changed.  Besides that it's quite
interesting reading about my country from an outside perspective.

The International disputes section is cool - we are battling with
everyone.

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170