 Administrative / General / 1412
Re: Upper-ascii chars in subject line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:06:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
die Fledermaus der =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6lle?=
This encoding (and a couple others) appear from time to time, and at some
point it'll make sense to write a script to convert these on the fly to 8-
bit ISO-8859-1 character values rather than leaving them in their encoded
form.  The same script could be used to go back and retrofit old articles
with this encoding.  Probably sometime in the summer, unless you'd like to
volunteer to write the converter.

Sure, I'll take a swing at it.

Allrighty then.  :)  Having a couple of conversion functions would be very
helpful.

I think I see how part of the encoding works, though I suspect table
look-ups would be necessary.

I -think- it's designed to be a one-to-one and invertible mapping from 8-bit
ISO-8859-1 character strings to 7-bit ASCII character strings based entirely
on hexadecimal representations.  Hopefully table lookups won't be necessary!

Do you know of a URL I can check out to understand the standard?

No (sorry) I haven't even started thinking much about this in detail.
Somewhere on the net, though, should be an archive of RFC's -- try
www.w3.org or www.internic.com or a Yahoo! search for something like "RFC
standard archive database", then find the one defining the ISO-8859-1
mapping that's being used here.  (I think there might be more than one
quoted-ISO-8859 mapping.)

Anyway, if you make it through all of that and come up with a pair of
conversion functions, they'll need to be in Perl.  Even better would be
something that reads a news article on STDIN and the transmogrified article
to STDOUT, but halfway there is certainly OK.

Thanks for any time or code you can contribute.  (BTW, please post any beta
or final code here rather than e-mailing it.)

--Todd

p.s.  Don't forget to check CPAN (www.perl.com) first to make sure that
someone hasn't already written a conversion module for this.  :)