 Administrative / General / 1391
Re: Upper-ascii chars in subject line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:35:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Whoa!  I put an upper-ascii character into the subject line of my message.
In my newsreader, it comes across fine, but in the Web interface, it comes
across as:

die Fledermaus der =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=F6lle?=

Is this a bug, or shouldn't I have put the offending bytes in the subject
line?  More to the point, will I kill your Web interface scripts?

It's not a bug, no.  But it's not a desirable thing, either.

What's happening is that your newsreader encoded the non-ASCII (above 127)
character into an ASCII format using an ISO-8859-1 mapping.  This mapping is
decoded by some (not all) newsreaders.  The encoding is OK, so don't worry
about it being "wrong" or anything.

This encoding (and a couple others) appear from time to time, and at some
point it'll make sense to write a script to convert these on the fly to 8-
bit ISO-8859-1 character values rather than leaving them in their encoded
form.  The same script could be used to go back and retrofit old articles
with this encoding.  Probably sometime in the summer, unless you'd like to
volunteer to write the converter.

--Todd