 Administrative / General / 13880
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 20:21:24 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
- snip -

Be sure I've given this whole issue careful consideration. But as far as I can
see, there was a lot of healthy discussion and I'm pretty sure some people will
rethink their futur behaviour. I doubt that Ross would ever do it again, nor do
I believe that any other curator would open that can of worms again. So I'm
certain of it: This will not become a precedence. In case I'm wrong, I in fact
should considering things like revoking privileges or banning several users. But
I will bypass such sanctions wherever possible.

Rene,

I understand your reluctance to pursue administrative repurcussions in this
latest flare-up. Unfortunately, perception of administrative bias is as damaging
as actual bias. A lack of administrative response to what many (including
myself) perceive to be an improper use of administrative privileges implicitly
condones the behavior. In essence, allowing Ross' actions without reprimand
plants a seed in many minds that says it's OK to pick on people if you're a
staff member. Or if you think a staff member would approve of such behavior.

I remain concerned the core issue hasn't been resolved. After witnessing (and
being involved in) several of these recurring squabbles, I have a tough time
relying on the innate goodness of human nature to play well with others. Lugnet
remains the home of button pushers, and of people with buttons, and as long as
the pushers can keep punching those buttons without consequence, I have no
reason to think they'll change their behavior in the long run.

- Kelly