 Administrative / General / 13902
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:56:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
I remain concerned the core issue hasn't been resolved.

So, you'd like to see a public reprimand from Rene, and/or a public apology from
Ross?

I think at this point, it's clear that:

- What Ross did was not acceptable (in my book certainly, and I assume in Rene's
as well).
- There was miscommunication between Ross and the Lugnet admin team which has
since been resolved (or has a workable solution for the meantime).
- The content on the sidebar was reverted.
- We've established a few precedents for curator behavior that seemingly haven't
needed to be addressed before (unless I missed some somewhere).
- Ross has apologized privately for the trouble this has caused, and has stated
privately and publically that he's unlikely to ever do this sort of thing again.

That said, if anyone's asking for Ross's removal as a curator, I'm personally
not in favor of that. If Ross decides to announce that he's making a stand to
continue to use personal bias in his curatorship, then sure, I might advocate
his removal. But I don't think this situation has warranted that.

I understand the desire people have to watch the administration lay the
smackdown on people-- especially when the offenders seem to give little or no
admission of error. It's great drama and all. But I'm not sure it's necessary to
that degree. The administration informed Ross that it was inappropriate and
fixed the content. If this proves to be an ongoing problem, the level of
administrative action will likely increase.

Maybe other people need stronger reassurances or something, but I guess I was
under the impression that we were done with this episode-- at least
administratively. Certainly people can debate things more if they wish to,
although it's likely only to stir up more trouble than not.

DaveE