 Administrative / General / 13797
Re: A Question about Posting Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:14:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   Okay, I can understand that, but at least couldn’t the colors match up without any loss in accuracy?

Well, there’s a little more to it, actually. Basically, you need the code to figure out what’s what. Since LUGNET was designed to work with SMTP and NNTP, the exact string “In lugnet.xxx.yyy, ZZZ wrote:” won’t be consistant. Right now, the only way it knows who said what is based on how many greater-than signs preceed the line.

For example, you could have *instead*: