 Administrative / General / 13793
13792  |  13794
Subject:
A Question about Posting Behavior
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:34:39 GMT

I have had this question in my mind since Todd initiated the color-coding for responses in a thread: when someone replies to a post, why doesn’t the number of arrows correspond to the text of the poster? For example, if someone named Sensible Party were to reply to this post, we’d see something like this:

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   Blah goo jibberish

I think you are the most intelligent person on earth!

-Sensible Party

When another party chimes in, we get this:

In lugnet.admin.general, Sensible Party wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   Blah goo jibberish

   I think you are the most intelligent person on earth!

   -Sensible Party

Rock on, Sensible Party!

-Mia Too

It seems to me that tracing the thread would be much clearer if the number of arrows of poster to his/her post corresponded to one another, thus making the color of the poster the same as their text, like this:

   In lugnet.admin.general, Mia Too wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Sensible Party wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote: Blah goo jibberish

   I think you are the most intelligent person on earth!

   -Sensible Party

   Rock on, Sensible Party!

   -Mia Too

This is what I’m talking about!

JOHN

Can someone explain to me why this isn’t the case?

TIA,

JOHN